Saturday, January 17, 2009

An introduction of sorts... I suppose...

Well, here is the thing. I like food... Any food. I also like Vodka... But only good Vodka. You see I have spent so much time in restaurants and bars both working and socializing that they seem to be the only real places I actually feel comfortable. Especially behind a bar.

The only thing I can liken being a Bartender to (a good one at least) is being a Chef. I'm the guy who with near encyclopedic knowledge can not only make you nearly any drink, but do it well. I can look at a stocked bar an instantly start formulating recipes in my head, knowing what will go with each and how well it will taste. Which brings me to food.

You see to me food was (like alcohol) a comfort thing. Something I could enjoy and relish in. Spicy, sweet, salty and sour. Fatty and lean cuts of meat. All of which provide you with different flavors. They mix well, they pair well and most importantly they make you feel well...

You can spend nearly your whole life in search of the perfect meal or the perfect drink or the perfect restaurant. But I am here to tell you it is all subjective. What may be your perfect cocktail or meal today may be completely different tomorrow.

What happens when you find that perfect meal? Does life cease to hold meaning?

Or like me, do you eat it so often you become sick of it and have to find something else that seems "perfect?"

I'd be willing to wager that it's the latter of the two.

That's how the search for a perfect anything can hold so many answers, variations and torments. Because no matter how hard you look and how hard you try it is never going to be complete...

Until next time kids... Don't drink anything I wouldn't.

Mac the Bartender

1 comment: